[Better Start for Children with Disabilities] This package was announced in the last budget and came into effect on July 1. Similar to the Helping Children with Autism package, but encompasses a wider range of disabilities. The bulk of the package is for kids aged 6 and under, but there are some offerings for kids up to 13.
Children with one of the listed disabilities will also be able to access new Medicare items under the Better Start for Children with Disability (Better Start) initiative.
The Better Start initiative includes the following components:
- Funding for early intervention services and treatments for eligible children
- Additional assistance for eligible children who live in outer-regional, rural or remote locations to help with the costs of accessing services
- A Medicare item for the development of a treatment and management plan for eligible children up to the age of 13
- Medicare items for up to four allied health diagnostic services, the results of which contribute to the development of the treatment and management plan, and
- Medicare items for up to 20 relevant allied health services in total for each eligible child up to the age of 15 provided the treatment and management plan is in place before the age of 13.